We have been so lucky to have had the chance to experience the Olympics and Paralympics in our city. I would say it has been a once in a lifetime opportunity. The city of Vancouver was amazing in all that it did and I really think Canadians everywhere felt like they were a part of the Olympic dream. It's been a month since the Olympics have ended and one week for the Paralympics but I can't help but feel that it has left an indelible mark on us all.
I didn't have a chance to blog on the Men's Hockey Game Craig and I attended since I was so absentminded and forgot to bring my camera. I had snapped a few pics on my cell phone but have no idea how to get them out onto the computer. I was hoping for the opportunity to figure it out and hence do a post with pictures but I think that won't be the case.
We made it out on February 19th to the Men's Ice hockey prelims of Finland vs Germany. Craig had armed himself with his iphone programed with a cow bell and both team flags so he could alternate between the two (how very Canadian). We headed out after Craig was done school and met up with my cousin, Glenda. We spent a few hours in the downtown core, experiencing the ambiance and soaking in the excitement of it all. We even had the chance to try out the famous JAPADOGS! Yes, the Japanese-fusion hot dogs... it was a gourmet dinner. We were actually very lucky to only have a 15 minute line. Apparently on some days during the games, the line-up was up to over an hour and was two blocks long! They are not a new phenomenon but the media during the games gave them a super boost, you can read the story here :o) Needless to say, Glenda was happy she finally had her dog and Craig found the Kimchi topping scrumptious.
From there, we spent some time on Granville St. and had a nice visit together. We departed ways so that we could get to the security checks at Canada Hockey Place (a.k.a. GM Place) and Glenda headed off to the Flamenco demo to see my other cousin, Ange.
Not knowing we had a super long walk to do... we approached the stadium thinking we could enter through the normal entrances... so wrong. We ended up having to walk a very roundabout way and then going through a very thorough security tent before getting into an enclosure to finish the last 45 minutes wait before the gates opened. It was a bit difficult for me as I was definitely feeling the baby bump weight on my feet by then.
Our seats were fairly good and thoroughly entertaining as we were right by the camera-man with a sense of humour. He kept following people as they came in with his camera arm and played with a group of guys eating nachos... it was fun to see so many people having a great time.
Craig even had his second brush with fame! A week earlier we had been walking in the mall and a Polish newspaper reporter asked Craig and Brea for a picture seeing as Daddy was dressed in Olympic gear and Brea had on her Chinese New Year outfit. This time around, it was a Netherlands TV channel doing a special on Canadian hockey games and our use of organ music. Craig was interviewed and had his brain picked on how this type of music added to the spirit of our national sport... it was pretty hilarious watching him be all nervous in front of the GIANT camera. See, my honey is now famous albeit all overseas :o)
We had lovely ride on Skytrain back home after the game... it was a great evening!
No comments:
Post a Comment