Born Saturday May 29, 2010 at 3:36pm
Weighing 6lbs 11oz
Height 20 inches
I'll have pictures up soon but in the meanwhile, here is our birth story.
Rhys arrived two weeks before his due date and we barely had time to get organized. I had just finished my last day of work on Thursday and was looking forward to having some time to get everything just right to welcome the little guy. He had other plans.
On Friday I was getting ready to go to my school to visit the students who were taking part in the 30 Hour Famine. I had been feeling pretty heavy over the last few days, the baby’s weight had really dropped low but I just chalked it up to the impending baby arrival. Brea was especially clingy that night and I couldn’t get her down until nearly 9pm. At that point, I decided it was not worth it to make my way out to the school so I settled down for a few hours to read while waiting for Craig to come home from his school athletic event.
At about 11:30pm I decided it was late enough and headed to bed. I was drifting off when I heard the garage door open but I decided it was better to just go to sleep. As I closed my eyes there came a fluttering in my stomach. Baby decided to wriggle a whole lot with legs and arms and then I felt the familiar pop and gush sensation from the first time. “Crap!” was my thought as I quickly waddled to the bathroom to grab a towel. I called to Craig and announced that this baby was coming early. He made his way downstairs to let Nana and Grumpa know while I busied getting hospital bags packed. By 12:45am we were set, minus newborn diapers that we were going to grab in the morning. Then I went back to bed since nothing was happening to get some sleep.
We waited all morning but contractions were very weak and not at all regular. I was really hoping it wouldn’t be the two days of waiting like we had with Brea, luckily by noon, the action started. We had been told by our midwives to wait for the 5-1-1 rule since this was our second. But as with the first time, my contractions were never regular. By around 2pm, contractions were 7 minutes apart, I decided to phone the midwife but Craig said, “let’s just give it a few more”. Fifteen minutes later, they were 4 minutes apart. We called and were told to go to the hospital. The drive was harrowing. My contractions were pretty much on top of each other and I knew it wasn’t going to be long, Craig for his part, drove like a maniac in the hopes of finding a police officer… the traffic was terrible. Neither of us said it but we were REALLY hoping not to deliver in the Delica. We arrived at the hospital shortly after 3pm. I was sobbing mostly from relief to have made it, Craig pretty much threw my health card at the triage nurse as we raced to maternity.
Nicole arrived just as I was settling onto the bed. I knew that asking for drugs at this point was pointless but I tried anyway. I was examined and found to be fully dilated and at +1… no drugs for me. I tried to get into the same position that I had used for Brea but it only lessened the contractions, Nicole suggested I turn onto my side and I did. The next contraction came and I pushed, I felt something come out and I was not willing for it to go back in so I held and pushed again and again. One contraction and he was out! Rhys Lok Bruce P. arrived at 3:36pm. I couldn’t see but Craig informed me after that he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck twice and he was quite blue. Once he was laid down on my chest though he started pinking up and let out a beautiful cry. He also had a pee on my shirt to say, “hello Mama!” The chart says that I pushed for 11 minutes, Craig swears it was only one. I still can’t believe how fast it all went.
Nana and Grumpa who were in town for a wedding showed up with Brea shortly after and Big Sister had a chance to see the baby. She has been wonderful with him and he in turn has been quite understanding of her pokes and prods. We are so happy to welcome Rhys into our family and look forward to all the joys that he will bring.
3 comments:
That sounded like an amazing birth experience (except for the labouring in the car part)! Parts of your story was similar to mine - mostly irregular contractions, time spent pushing, too late for drugs, even Rhys's birth weight and length was exactly the same as Erica's!
Also, the first name I had suggested to Michael that I really liked was "Rhyssa", from a book by one of my favourite authors, but the name didn't really exist in real life (closest match I could find was Rhys, so I assumed it would be a feminine form) and Michael said it was too unusual.
Hope you guys are all doing well and getting some sleep!
Congrats! That is quite a story! Glad you made it to the hospital in time. Can't wait to come meet your little boy! More pictures PLEASE!!!
Oh I am SO excited to read this Eleana...have tears, too! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Can't wait to meet your new family member, bet it already feels like he's been with you always!
YEAY!!!
Post a Comment