Friday, 14 September 2012

Quarantine!

So on to the fun part of this past week. We visited the museum on Monday. Rhys had been a bit clingy the previous night, I chalked it up to being away from home. At the museum, I carried him 75% of the time. Brea started scratching a bit in the afternoon and said she was itchy. It was warm, I planned on bathing them when we got home, no biggie. Both of the kids fell asleep en route to the ferry as we headed homewards. Brea rarely naps anymore so maybe I should have seen the signs but I was a bit weary from travel too.

When the bath was drawn, I lifted Brea's shirt and she was speckled. Yes, chicken pox. Rhys had had a few dots at the end of August but he had not been itchy and they were so mild we thought they were insect bites. Since both kids had been vaccinated, I hadn't really thought about them getting it. Meanwhile though, Rhys who had this weeks ago should be fine but he was increasingly clingy and distraught with what seemed to be a low-grade fever. I decided to take them in.

Our doctor was a bit puzzled since Brea's symptoms were not classic chicken pox but agreed that with the vaccination, it was probably a milder manifestation. Then she looked at Rhys, one look in his mouth was all it took.: hand, foot, mouth - the Coxsackie virus has struck our household. The poor little boy had blisters on his soft palate which was why he was exceptionally listless and wouldn't eat. He wouldn't part my side for a second during the first few days. I literally had to take him in the shower with me if I wanted to bathe. Aren't we lucky, both things at once!

Needless to say we are on quarantine this week. No visits anywhere. Slightly bummed because we always do the Terry Fox Run but Craig will represent. It is not very wise to take them into large crowds. The kids are on the mend, Brea's climbing the couch and Rhys is finishing his popsicle as I type.

The start of the school year is always so much fun.

No comments: