Sunday, 7 December 2008

Book Club


Brea and I made our way to Colleen's on Thursday to take part in our first Book Club Meeting of this year! It was so exciting. We discussed "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Several of us had the chance to see the movie so that added to our discussion. We all loved the book and even though the movie was panned by critics, we felt it was quite well done. The book was very character driven and it was hard for that to translate into the movie where many details were left out. Since I had read the book before the movie I kind of filled in the blanks. The cast was spectacular - I had not seen the movie trailers so I was surprised at who was in the movie but most of the other ladies were in the know... we all loved Queen Latifah as August, she was wonderful. Of all of us, Kathy who had not read the book before the movie was very insightful with her take on things and how the story unfoldeded.

Colleen has the most beautiful home in the world, I love the drive out to it all nestled in the trees. Brea enjoyed the car ride too, now that she can see things better, she's been looking out the window during our drives. More looking, less screaming, works for me :o) Colleen had lots of yummies for us and well water aplenty! (I had my first taste of her well water last year and I quite enjoy it). Thanks for being such a great hostess!

Susanna and Max were there as well, it was nice to have all the babies together. I finally got a shot of them all side by side. Max was quite keen on Ted and they had a nice photo shoot together with Paddington Bear. We all think they are ready for grandchildren :o)


Can't wait for our next get-together, we'll be looking at "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden. Colleen and Joanne had the chance to see him at the recent Writer's Festival and loved him.

No comments: