Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Teddy Bear Picnic?!


It's official, we live in BEAR country. Since Brea's name is an anagram for bear, it's no wonder that they would want to celebrate her first birthday!

Brea woke in the wee hours of the morning, no doubt a little messed up from all the festivities in her honour, I worked and got her back to sleep then went to get some rest of my own. As I was lying in bed, I heard a thump and then another. Hmmm... thought I, there was all that talk from neighbours about bears and we just put all that party stuff in the garbage. Uh-oh!

I snuck to the kitchen and turned on the porch light to behold a giant mess on the side of the house. Nuts! Maybe some pesky raccoons? I drew open the blinds to look in our front yard and TWO HUGE BLACK BEARS were settling down to a picnic! Well, that's what it looked like to me in my bleary 5am state. They were sitting side by side with a bag between them, enjoying their snack. I woke Craig (who had somehow missed ALL the noise) and we watched them munch, have a bathroom break and then continue their stroll down the street.

We assessed damage afterwards and learned that they had been fence hopping throughout the backyards of our neighbours before finding our garbage can. Then, they had been unable to hop over our gate so they ripped it open pulling a section of the siding of our house with it.

Lesson learned! Our garbage will be housed in the garage and we'll be a bit more careful when enjoying nature in our yard.

No comments: