Saturday, 2 April 2011

Spring Break Getaway 2011

Our Spring Break Adventure is nearing its end and I apologize for the long hiatus while we were traveling. Since we were lucky to have a two-week long break this year we thought we’d take advantage, especially when Nana and Grumpa invited us to spend some time with them in the sun in California. So our destination this holiday… road trip to Indio, CA!

Our first three days of travel were a bit rough since we drove hard to get there. The children were amazing! I had stocked up on travel distractions to tempt Brea with. Rhys chose to spend his car time sleeping – it was a pleasant change from our first car trip with Brea where she cried most of the way. We sped our way through Washington and Oregon and churned down into the deserts of California. We stayed for a night in Creswell, OR and then in Stockton, CA. I have to say, the three days were a blur since I had a book I was reading (A Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp). Most of the I-5 is straightforward but there were a few gems along the way like Shasta Lake – it is a breathtaking view! Everything was a surprise again since it’s been 20 years since I’ve driven down to CA. We also were relying on the GPS, which doesn’t do much to foreshadow what is along the way. I had forgotten how mountainous CA actually is in parts as we drove through the Siskiyou. Craig grabbed some maps and TourBooks from the AAA, which provided me with a much more fulfilling, ride back up the coast.

After mostly pastoral landscapes, our entrance to the desert was to hills punctuated by row upon row of giant windmills, the likes of which I had not seen before. It was amazing to see their massive blades churning as they gathered energy from the wind.

Our park in Indio, CA
Upon our arrival to our “California Home” as Brea was calling it, we had a warm and scrumptious welcome ready for us. It had been a few days without home cooking, so Craig was very appreciative of the lovely stew awaiting us. We quickly settled in to our park model, ready for the adventures ahead.

Brea on the steps of our "California Home"
Nana and Grumpa's new trailer!

Brea loved visiting the Nana and Grumpa’s beautiful new trailer. The double doors to the bedroom were a special treat for grand entrances; she’d happily swing them open upon entering and exiting. Rhys’s favourite part of the trailer was the fire extinguisher by the door, right at his height and with a tempting loop ready for pulling.

We had visits from cousins and friends and exciting outings.

I'll continue with more soon as we get back into the routine of being back home.

No comments: