Thursday, 2 February 2012

A Day Out

This past Sunday Rhys was not feeling well and I had a few errands to run. It seemed like such a hassle to bundle everyone up to go to a variety of stops - mall, grocery store, fabric store... so I suggested that Craig stay home with our little guy and Brea could hang with me for a day. Little did I know how much fun we would have since it has been quite a while since I've had some really good quality time with just my little girl.

There was a variety of things I did need to do but mostly I needed to get some kitchen soap. I know that might sound strange but I discovered the Cucina line from Fruits and Passion a few years ago and I LOVE it for the luscious scents they have but also because they are great at getting rid of those pesky smells that cling to your hands as you chop and cook in the kitchen. Unfortunately, the only place near enough to me to get it is at Metrotown. Don't get me wrong there is so much to see and do there but it is a crazy place to go if you aren't prepared to spend some time there.

So, Brea and I were off to the "Big Mall". She was pretty excited that it was just Mommy and her. She chattered along during the car ride asking quite a few times if we were "there yet". And she was so amazed that there were green street lamps. I suppose it isn't something that I am accustomed to looking for but when you try to find them, most street lamps are grey. It was quite funny to hear the gasp from the back seat.

"Mommy look! It's green! That light is green, that's so beautiful!"

As we neared the mall, I told her we'd be parking underground since it was a drizzly day and I could get closer to our destination.

"Are we going under the ground like moles? How will we get out?"

Inside the mall, the train chugged by laden with children and she wanted to go on it too, I suggested that perhaps next time since we had just arrived and I wanted to get a few things done first.

"But Po-Po let me ride the train when we come to this mall." - I wasn't aware that my Mom had taken Brea here so often.

We found Fruits and Passion and Brea adored the salesgirl as she tried to sell me everything in the store. Every time I turned she would have another sample for me to smell or try on, I was there on a mission for my soap but Brea was more than happy to check out all the smells. When we left the store, she had her own little bag of samples. She especially like the cream that would make her hands smell like strawberries.

A few more stops and I asked Brea if she was hungry... I knew she was because I gave her the choice of the food court or the toy store and she chose food. We headed to grab a bite to eat and I thought I'd let her choose, she asked for "saucy rice" and sure enough there was a delicious smelling curry kiosk as we drew near to the food court. Brea was not too happy that they did not have a prawn option but when she noticed the Dairy Queen and some children with cones she quickly settled on the butter chicken as she bargained with me for dessert. She ate more than half of the plate, I had the naan and she had the rice then she chose a hot fudge sundae. I placed the cup of gooey yumminess in the middle of the table and watched as it slowly moved further and further away from me with each bite that I took. After about four bites and with the cup directly in front of her, Brea said to me, "okay Mommy, one more bite and that's it!" As if, little cheeky monkey but I did give her the lions share ;o)

At the fabric store Brea ooohed and aaahed over all the colours and sequins, she loved feeling all the bolts of fabrics. She especially loved helping me choose some fabric for a gift I was making for a friend. At first she was disappointed that she couldn't keep the whole bolt of fabric but when I explained how things worked, she helped carry the bolt all the way to the cutting table to watch it being measured and cut then proudly carried our selections to the till to pay.

"Do we just take a little bit, then someone else can choose some to take home too, so we share?"

I loved the day with Brea! I loved listening to her thoughts and having the time to answer all of her questions without distractions. I had forgotten how sweet these moments of time with her and only her were. She made me laugh and smile so much.

I was mindful of little Rhys at home so we did get a few things for him while we were out too. A flashlight like his big sister's and some dinosaur slippers. He had been bemoaning the fact that everyone had fluffy slippers except for him. Brea picked up some hairbands - very glittery things too.

When we got home, she was so proud to share the special goodies with her brother. She demonstrated how to turn on the light and watched as he put on his very own slippers. He in turn noticed her nice bling and asked for some too by patting his head. Luckily, I had gotten Brea two headbands and she quickly put the purple one on him. He was so funny and cute as he preened in front of the mirror to get a good look at how pretty it was on him.

It's moments like these when I feel luckiest of all!

No comments: