Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Another Halloweenie

I have been looking forward to this Halloween since it would be one where both kids could enjoy it. Rhys is finally keeping up with his sister and cruising door to door wouldn't be so hard for him to do.

We raided the local pumpkin farm last week in search of the perfect pumpkins and on the weekend I spent a goodly several or four hours carving them. This was in between fits of coughing and telling the kids in a loud voice to not touch the sharp things. The kids enjoyed watching me and helped to clean out the innards but were not too keen on separating the seeds out. The requests this year were butterflies and trains so after consulting the web, I found a few designs that I tweaked and they came out looking great.

Side embellishments.
Mouse Hotel where there is always a vacancy.
 As for costumes, I had seen a spiderwebby thing online that seemed like a project I could do successfully. Finding a costume that would work from behind a desk isn't too easy but I decided to embellish on the spiderweb and it grew into a spider witch who was the receptionist at the Mouse Hotel. I made a sign up and had the pumpkin on display and even had a service bell that the kids really LOVED to ding.


Aside from the torrential rain it was pretty nice out. Once the umbrellas were up and the gum boots on we were ready to roll. Brea (the Cupcake) decided after one block that she was done, it was too wet, she was too tired, she wanted to go home and eat her candy. Rhys was SO excited to be a part of Halloween that he was happy to drop his sister off and continue on his way. He lasted 7 more houses before finally succumbing to a potty break and once his costume was off, he was through. But what a haul he made. I guess when you're cute and there aren't many kids making the rounds, you collect more than your fill.

The last house:
Rhys bounds to the front door and knocks.
Me pulling up behind him: "Rhys what do you say when the door opens?"
Rhys: "Pee pee!" as he starts hopping from one foot to another
Me: Horrified, "what?"
Rhys: "Pee pee!"
Me: "Do you have to go right now?"
The door opens, Rhys stops his dance, looks at the lady, opens his bag and says "trickorteat!"
The boy has his priorities! 


Well, it another year down... I think I'll go check those bags now... gotta make sure they're safe and remove the nuts and all that...

No comments: