Thursday, 26 May 2011

The countdown

The countdown has begun. I have only four more days until I go back to work. It's bittersweet to look back at this year full of so many treasured moments with Brea and Rhys because it seems to have just flown by. I don't remember my year with Brea going as fast but I suppose with two there are more activities to keep us busy and on the go. I wish I had more time to stay at home with them - in the fall I will only be working four days a week so that will be nice.

I've been trying to cram in as much as I can this last week. We've visited museums that I've been meaning to take them to for a while now. Brea finally got her carousel ride at the Burnaby Village Museum (they are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year and it's free admission all season - it's a great place to visit on a sunny day), we visited the Greater Vancouver Zoo, we got out into the sunshine that's making its appearance more often now, and Rhys is making strides daily, he can maneuver up and down the stairs now while his big sister hovers nearby in case he needs help. He loves making noise, you'll never see him empty handed, he always has a spatula or a spoon or something to bang with. He has been babbling more and more exuberantly and has finally added a few new syllables to his repertoire. He mostly does the "Ma" sound when he wants something - namely me, but he does a few variants now besides just grunts. He loves food and is very unhappy if he sees anyone eating without sharing a tidbit with him.

Ready for a romp at the zoo.




I love watching the two of them at play. Brea can be a little rough with her little brother at times but on the whole they play together very well. And when Rhys laughs, it's so infectious.


In support of our Stanley Cup bound Canucks!

Silly Girl!
Brea has been working on her toilet training and we followed a 3 day program that has been quite successful for her. Craig did the brunt of it over a weekend and it's been over three weeks diaper-free! Unfortunately, we have had some regression since I've been talking to Brea about going back to work. She has been more and more clingy, needing lots of cuddle time after waking and lately, she's started to ask me to feed her again during meals because "it's too hard" for her to do it herself. I went out for an appointment while she was napping a few days ago and my Mom was watching the kids, when she woke up, she ran around the house looking for me and when she couldn't find me, she had a meltdown. She wet the bed again last night and when we asked her about it, she said she was sad that I was going back to work. I know she'll be able to work through it but it has been difficult. We are lucky to have Nana and Po-Po with us this coming month to watch the kids so they will have familiar faces with them while I'm gone. I know that I will definitely be hurrying home every day.

Rhys has been teething for what seems like forever. He has five little teeth now and number six will be poking through today or tomorrow at the latest. This has caused him to be SO restless at night. I have managed to get him to sleep in his crib for a while now but with the teething there have been so many wake-ups that I've made a little bed on the floor of his room. He has had some great nights so I'm hoping that once these next few teeth are out I'll be able to get a bit more sleep. It'll be great to go back to work exhausted.

No comments: