Yesterday, Brea was playing wonderfully with Rhys as I was cleaning up in the kitchen after our lunch. I could hear his giggles of delight. Then the door to her bedroom slammed and his shriek reverberated through the house.
I ran to find him crying loudly while blood seeped from his finger. Trying to get a hold of a bleeding hand on a screaming infant while a toddler dances around and telling me, "Rhysy has an owie, give him a band-aid", is oh so fun. I managed to get his hand under the tap and tried to see what damage was done. It didn't look very good and it wouldn't stop bleeding so I got a Dora band-aid and slapped it on with one hand and my teeth while he smeared little bloody fingerprints it all over my clothes. That done, I plonked Brea down for her nap so I could evaluate the situation. It was impossible to get a good look at the injury with Rhys crying every time I tried to get a hold of his finger, it was still bleeding probably because of the force I had to use when grasping at it so I decided to get see if I could calm him with breastfeeding. When I finally got him asleep, I pried the bandage off for a look. At this point, it still looked like a nasty cut with quite a large gap. I couldn't decide what to do - I thought it'd be better to be safe and get it looked at so I called my brother to watch Brea and off to the hospital we went.
By the time Craig met us after he was done work I was already regretting going all the way there for a cut. I didn't want to take the bandage off again to look at it since it was such a pain to get on again. Needless to say, after the long wait where Rhys made friends with all the nurses and patients, the doctor said it was fine. They bandaged his hand like a mummy and sent him home. He gave me a look of surprise when I buckled him in his seat and he attempted to put his gauze mitt into his mouth (yes, it took him that long to notice because he was so distracted by the goings on of the ER). The gauze lasted for all of 10 minutes. I could hear him growling and working at it. This is what I saw when I opened the door when we got home:
So, I will be making my way to the drug store today to stock up on first aid supplies. Something tells me this won't be the last time.
3 comments:
Oh Eleana, that photo made me laugh out loud...he is SO cute, and certainly doesn't look too traumatized by all of this!
xxx
Liz
So so funny (not about the boo boo, but the story)...don't the doctors know how to bandage a hand so it's not removable?? LOL Hope the cut heals soon!!
With a little boy? Surely not. ;)
Post a Comment