Brea loves to explore, she is a go-getter and full of energy in every endeavor. Lately she's been discovering new things with pen and ink and I don't know how to explain that sometimes trying new things is not always the best idea. I want to foster her imaginative skills and her sense of wonder but there is a fine fine line that separates good exploration from bad.
The other night, she discovered that pens write on all kinds of things, paper, clothes, sleepsack, face... she was so proud as she ran to me to show off the artistic marks she had added to her smile.
I was not so enthused and told her so and watched her smile fade and the tears begin to form. "Is my face broken?" she asked, "Mommy is not happy?". I stopped her crying and explained that I could wash her face and her clothes but sometimes things can't get fixed or cleaned and she had to be careful.
But today on a playdate at a friend's house as the mommies sat for a few minutes to talk, we heard the scritch and the scratch and ran to find an array of crayon lines newly decorating the wall. They were happily playing together until we stopped them. I don't know how it started or who's idea it was. Perhaps I should have been more forceful in reprimanding her earlier and this could have been avoided. How do you know what to do?
1 comment:
It sounds like she needs to channel her creativity in to a new project! :)
Post a Comment