Monday, 1 September 2008

Our Birth Story

I typed this out to send to our prenatal group but I thought it would be of interest to put here as well :o)

Our Birth Story

My water broke on the morning of Wednesday Aug. 21st. We called my midwife who said that for many women, contractions usually start within 24 hours and to wait.

By Friday, I still had no contractions. We were worried that the risk of getting an infection was increasing so we went to the hospital for an exam. We decided to induce 33 hours after my water broke. An hour and a half after the gel, contractions started.

We went home where I started the wait for regular contractions. We timed and waited, timed and waited but there was no regularity at all! By 8:30pm, I had had enough. I directed Craig to call our midwife and tell her we were heading to the hospital without her because I needed drugs!!! She came right away. I was examined and found to be at 4cm. Off to the hospital and the gas :o)

At 10:00pm I took three drags of the gas and found it absolutely pooey, All it did was make me dizzy and nauseous. I asked for morphine. I was examined again and found to be at more than 7cm, so no morphine for me! I got a dose of Fentanyl instead (shorter time in my system to lessen effect on baby).

Shortly after midnight I was pushing and at 1:52am Saturday August 23, 2008, Brea Ching-Yee P. was born. She weighed 7 lbs 3 oz and was 20 inches.

I only found out afterwards that despite all of my stretching and exercises pre-delivery to turn her was no good. During labour, she turned back into posterior position. But since no one told me and I knew no better, she was delivered sunny-side up with no difficulties.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy September! Glad to hear Brea is still ruling the roost and fattening up. Absolute Best of Luck taking her on solo tomorrow when Daddy goes to work.
Signe

lewis fam said...

Yeay Mama Eleana! You're a SUPERSTAR!