DAY 1
Instead of our usual meet and hang playgroup date, Malaya, Kaitlyn, Brea and Max decided to go with their mommies into the 'Couve for an adventure... actually, the Circle Craft Fair was running at the Convention Centre and we mommies wanted to see all the goodies. It's one of the most extravagant and largest craft fairs in the lower mainland. We met here and headed out at 11:45am.
The Skytrain was nice and empty for our trip down and it was no problem at all to get four strollers on a train. But as things go, babies have no schedule. By the time we arrived in Vancouver, Max was hungry, Dawn and Reg were hungry and Brea was grumpy. Our first sense that things might not come easy was at Waterfront Station where the elevator was out of service. Kathy, the impulsive and aggressive stroller mama, popped a wheelie and went up the escalator. After a bit of humming and hawing, I followed suite. Dawn and Reg, were the better, safer mommies and took apart their strollers and made two trips up. We then split up and tried to get things done. It wasn't until 2pm that we were able to head into the Fair for a look. I managed to control myself and not go crazy with all the beautiful things but I did get Brea a pair of Stonz booties because they are so cute!
They can fit over other shoes or on bare feet and keep baby toes toasty warm and waterproof.
At 3:30pm it was time to go home. We didn't get to see the whole fair but Kathy and I were coming back the next day to visit Lindsay and Matteo and we didn't want to be caught in rush hour traffic. Again, babies have no schedule - one had to be changed, another had to be fed... we got caught in rush hour. Business people in Vancouver who take Skytrain are crazy! That's all I can say. There was no way we could stay together and get onto a train so we split up to try to squish on. We literally had to ram our strollers into the train before other people pushed us out of the way. They were leaning over the stroller and Brea and still trying to mash on when there was no room. Needless to say, it was a LOOOONG ride home. But we survived :o) We all had lots of fun despite it all and I was eager to make our next trip.
DAY 2
Kathy and I decided it would be more prudent to start the day earlier due to the rush hour fiasco of the previous day. All was well and we made it with no problem to Lindsay's place. Matteo is adorable and Brea had lots of fun hanging with the boys (don't tell Daddy).
Since Kathy had an appointment for Max, we separated at the Skytrain station and I headed for the Craft Fair to pick up a bracelet I had left for repairs. From the moment we set foot into the Fair, Brea started crying. I fed her, she was still crying, I raced to the bracelet booth and thought that if I jiggled her a bit it might help her get to sleep. No such luck. She was a tired baby. By this time it was nearing 3pm and I thought I might as well head home. We had no problem getting onto the train but once it hit the business districts, people started piling on. That's when Brea decided to bring her whimpering into a loud wail. Suddenly, I heard "What's the matter with the baby?" and soon there was a woman elbowing her way through the train. She reached us in a matter of minutes and proceeded to peer at Brea and asking "what's the matter? It's okay baby!" Then she started singing and grabbing Brea's hands. She responded by crying louder and all I could think was, "oh my god, some crazy woman is grabbing at my baby - Brea, please don't put your hand in your mouth until I've disinfected it!" Between the lady's horrible lullaby and Brea's cries and all the people on the train I finally made it off, two stops AFTER where I should have gotten off. It was a long trip home is all I can say.
Going downtown on public transit is not for the weak of heart.
1 comment:
What an adventurer you are! Two days in a row - WOWOWOW!!!
Sounds like lots of fun and how awesome that you have documented with your blog.
Yeay!
Post a Comment